Library Blasts Off into Summer Reading Program
With a 'Universe of Stories' Beginning May 31, 2019
Starting May 31, 2019, readers of all ages will be equipped to prevent the dreaded summer slide as Martin County Library System (MCLS) presents the Summer Reading Program. Children aged newborn through fifth grade will be eligible to earn book prizes and an invitation to a finale party. Teens can submit book reviews to earn volunteer hours and a chance to win a $50 Amazon gift card. Readers will have multiple options to conveniently track their progress by registering at https://mcls.beanstack.org (which enters them into a raffle to win free admission to the Elliott Museum), downloading the mobile-friendly Beanstack Tracker app for Android and/or iOS, or picking up a reading log folder at any MCLS location. An abundance of exciting events for all ages will take place.
This program and coinciding events are sponsored by The Library Foundation of Martin County, Inc. Highlights include:
- Space Songs with IRSC's Planetarium Director, Jon U. Bell (June 1, 10:30 a.m. at Robert Morgade Library);
- What's Wild: Hobe Sound Nature Center (June 28, 11:30 a.m. at Peter & Julie Cummings Library);
- Mad Science Mission Moon (July 7, 2:00 p.m. at Blake Library and July 12, 2:00 p.m. at Hoke Library);
- South Florida Science Center Traveling Planetarium (July 9, 2:00 p.m. at Blake Library and July 28, 1:00 p.m. at Elisabeth Lahti Library);
- DoDad's Lab Outer Space Science (July 20, 10:30 a.m. at Hobe Sound Public Library and 2:00 p.m. at Elisabeth Lahti Library).
A special series entitled A Universe of Food and Fun will be offered at multiple locations and presented by local health and nutrition specialist, Marybeth Peña, R.N.
The library is also very pleased to welcome Treasure Coast Astronomical Society, who will conduct family-oriented presentations about safe solar viewing, at various library locations during June and July.
Additionally, a Summer K-Pop Party (June 18, 3:00 p.m. at Elisabeth Lahti Library) and our 5th annual FanFest (July 27, 2:00 p.m. at Elisabeth Lahti Library) will focus on engaging our teen visitors.
The Summer Reading Program is a national initiative observed annually designed to offer incentives for reading and offer educational, entertaining events that encourage literacy activities for those of all ages.
For more information on these or any other events, visit www.library.martin.fl.us, call 772-288-5702, or pick up a Library Events newsletter at any MCLS location.